Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Internet is the scariest place on earth

Never mind disturbing videos like "One guy one screwdriver" or scary websites like the various religious extremist sites, be that Christian, Muslim, Jew, or the religion of the Great Spaghetti Monster. Never mind the unending supply of really disturbing things online. The scariest thing on the Internet is the past.
Over my long Internet carrier I have been found a lot of places by a lot of people. I have met people I know or knew in real life in the strangest places.
And then I joined FaceBook. And FaceBook is, in my experience, a place totally dedicated to finding network with people that you know or knew.
I have been discovered and added by the strangest people. People I haven't talked to for years, and sometimes people that I knew for really short periods of time.
And I always accept. I have no idea why. It's sort of like a morbid curiosity I think. Some kind of need to know what is going on with these people I had some kind of relationship with years ago.
We usually don't talk, we don't catch up in any way, we just sit there, in each others friend lists.
And I kind of like that, for some reason. It makes me feel connected to the past that I left behind. The life I couldn't have.
That being said I have the most horrendous friends list ever. If know maybe 5% of them. The rest are game-friends. People that I have added for games, and that I don't know, and that are blocked from actually seeing my profile.
I think I need to clean it up soon, but I really want the advantages they give me in said games.
Yeah, I am a Playfish addict^^,
Fortunately I have not been added by any people I really don't want contact with yet. We all have them, and I really don't want contact with them.
I occasionally look for people I used to know, but I don't add them for some reason.

Internet is seriously scary. It's the place where your past catches up to you.....

1 comment:

Vilje Vanilje said...

I know, it is really scary. And if those people try to add you, that you didn't want to find you in the first place, you have no other choice than to accept. And then you start to avoid the place you used to hang out in....