Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Wild Swans

I have just finished rereading Wild Swans. I started it a long time ago, and then something new and interesting came along. I do that a lotXD
Anywho, I picked it up again a few days ago, and decided I would finish it before reading, and about ten minutes ago I did.^^,
I love this book, I really do. It's an extremely well written and engaging personal version of a horrible period in Chinese history. And a convincing testimony to why communism does not work in practice. I remember the first time I read the book, several years ago, and thought that communism was a wonderful idea, everybody sharing had to mean no poverty or famine. Everybody would be the same and there would be no discrimination or corruption. Alas, as I discovered when I read on, it didn't work out that way in Mao's China. As far as I know no communist regime has made it, I know that there are communist regimes, but as far as I know most or all of them are turning capitalistic. I might be wrong thou, I know very little about communism outside of China. In any case Mao was a tyrant with a need for conflict and destruction, but he was highly intelligent or he would never have gotten as much power as he did.
I find this period in Chinese history intensely fascinating, the way one man could destroy the lives of 900 million people, and how people survived through this horrible period. And to some extent how things are now, how the country is rebuilding itself.
Actually I am starting to contemplate studying Chinese history at the university when I'm done with high school, it's just so fascinating. I think I might go snoop around a bit to see if there are any schools that offer that kind of studies^^, Don't know what I'll do about the Japanese thou, maybe I can do both, if I succeed at becoming an interpreter that would two very useful languages to know...

Word of the day:
中国 - Chuugoku - China

No comments: