Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pink heart sushi rolls? Not so much...

So me and the Gachas went on a shopping spree today. And I bought... waaaaait for it... lunch boxes!!! O.o
So, yah. I spend way to much money on food. Mostly at uni. But also when on walks around town. That and coffee. Waaaaay to much money.
And then suddenly I realized I had some money left over from last month. How on earth that happened, I have no idea. No idea what so ever.
But the result of that was I actually had some money to blow, and I've been wanting to buy the new Kitty Norville book, but I figured I'd do that with all the money I'm going to save eating home-made lunches^^,
So what did Tinkerbell buy? She bought an adorable little Hello Kitty lunch-box with an inside compartment container thingy that can hold, lets say rice, while I have maybe vegetables in the next compartment. Oooooor, I think I'd rather do it the other way around, so that the sauce from the vegetables don't get in under the compartment and end up making a big mess. Or, if I want simple (who wants that thou...XP) it's just the right size from a slice of bread.

(Prepare for Tinkerbell sidetrackingXP) You know, Norway has this deal with packed lunches. We love our packed lunches. We used to be a not very rich country, I don't know if we were poor, I do think we were ever 3rd world poor, but before we struck oil in the north sea things were tight all around. So we made packed lunches to save money. If you have heard of the Norwegian cheeseslicer or Ostehoevel (ostehøvel for those with a Norwegian or Danish character set on your comps) it was originally designed to make the cheese last longer, but making even, thin slices. And just before you ask, we don't do thick slices of cheese in Norway, we layer thin onesXP
Aaaaanywho, these packed lunches that we all love so much, they are booring. They usually consist of slices of bread with topping. You know like, slices ham, white or brown cheese (which are basically the usual light yellow cheese I think you can find anywhere in the world, I think. Don't quote me on that. It's made from cow's milk. And then there is the brown cheese made from goat's milk, and the Jamie Oliver thinks is an abomination, but that real cooks, like Nigella, run around all London's tiny little cheese-shops to get a fix of. (No offence to Jamie Oliver fans, I love him. He's cute and he teaches kids in USA to eat properly^^,) This brown cheese comes in varying degrees of brown, and at one point they sold a very special one with chocolate. Not for long thou. I think it flopped pretty hardXP), sliced ham (we have a million different types of sliced hams. Some are even made of birdXP), liver paté (which is immensely more jummy than it sounds), with or without sliced pickles or pickled red beet, a very special, very cheap kind of caviar that I have understood is only available in Scandinavia, or if you are really lucky jam or chocolate spread. Or of course if your Mum is mad at you Banos. Which is a special spread made of mashed banana. ICK!
The point to this long winding list is that it's bread. With topping, usually the same small selection of topping, every single day, every single week, all year.
Boring.
But very cheap.

Some days I eat two or three meals at school, depending of how early my first lecture starts and how late my last lecture ends. On Tuesdays I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at uni.
And even thou the student cafés are really cheap for students, they still want to make a profit. I try to have really cheap food for at least one of these meals, but I can't eat yoghurt any more, so the cheapest thing I can eat is basically pastry, and I don't want to eat that much sugar while at school, so I spend a lot of money on food.
So if I can put one or two slices of bread with cheese or whatever in the Hello Kitty box for breakfast, then heck, I'll live through boring. It's cheap.

I do already have a lunch box, but it's a Tupperware... oh, how embarrassing, the former Tupperware Consultant forgetting the name of a product... The point is it's basically a square at any angle. Which is a bad phrasing, but what I'm trying to say, it's as tall as it is wide, and this makes it a very awkward to cary in my backpack. I would have to carry it in a special bag or in my hand, and most days I end up not bothering.
So now I have a small handy lunchbox for breakfast or short days.

I also bought a onigiri lunch-box. It has a triangle shaped compartment on top for where you can place three onigiri in a row in a little tray. And under you have a compartment for eg. the remains of last night's dinner. Which, face it, is what I usually bring for lunch.
This is mostly due to the fact that I try not to eat too much wheat, and therefore were very often don't have any bread. We have frozen rolls, which has to be baked in an oven for 10 minutes and then cooled a while, and cut and then you have to put toppings on them, and yah, me no worky in the morning.

What I plan to do is make onigiri the evening before and then just lop some of last night's dinner in the box and take that.
I also bought chopsticks. They come in a little slide-to-open box, and can therefore be put in the backpack without getting gross.

I also bought heart shaped maki shaper. It's cast, sort of, for maki where you put rice in and press, like an onigiri cast, and then you push the rice out and roll it up in nori, and my coherency is seriously eluding me at the moment.
I'm wiped. I've been up since 6 am and it's currently 13 past midnight.
So I think I am gonna explain it properly sometime tomorrow, and hopefully I'll have charmed boyfriend into borrowing me his camera, so that I can show you pictures of my loot^^,

I can however tell you right not that the heartshaped maki will take practice. Lots and lots of practice, but that the pink rice was super mega happy cute, and that I am going to practice and become a master of the heartshaped maki. Now I am gonna check FaceBook and the go to bedXP

No comments: