Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell

I finally finished it. It is a wonderful book but it is not a small one.
I love this book, but I rather doubt I will ever read it again, it is much too large an undertaking for that, being 1006 pages and all. I have spent at least a year at it, on and off. The problem with long books such as this is that because it is the length that it is I find it very easy to get distracted and start reading something else. But I have always returned to it. It is a very complex book, so these returns to it have sometimes been confusing. But since it is a book without a much extensive character gallery, and with scores of wonderful footnotes I always found myself back in the flow of things within a few pages time.
It is highly captivating, and the language in which Susanna Clarke describes the events makes all the highly unlikely events taking place on every page seem almost plausible.
I am not a very good judge of characters, but to me all the characters seems totally believable. Even the gentleman with the thistledown hair seemed real to me.
For anyone with a longer attentionspan than the one I possess I highly recommend this book, and should you be so unfortunate that your attentionspan can rival mine in shortness I would still recommend this book, even if it means you will need a larger amount of will power.
It is a wonderful book in any case. Even if the ending seemed a tad... unfinished... to meXP

Word of the day:
魔法使い - mahoutsukai - magician, wizard, sorcerer, witch

No comments: