Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The curious incident with the dog in the nigth-time

An important book. A really important book.
The story of Christopher who has autism, and who takes it upon himself to investigate the murder of his neighbor's dog, and the places it takes him, and the truth behind it all.
It was a bit scary, because I recognized myself in the things Christopher tells about himself and in the way he reacts to things. My therapist tells me that autism amplifies characteristics that are very common among many people, like responding to things we don't understand with frustration or anger, so that made it less scary.
I think that everyone should read this book, at the very least everyone that is in a position where they are likely to meet people with autism, like people who work in shops, and policemen, and hospital workers, and people who work with public transportation. I could go on and on, it was an eyeopener for me. I knew a girl with autism many years ago, and I just after reading this book understood the way she reacted to things, reactions that confused and frightened me at the time I now understand how I could have avoided.
Read it. Please. It will be good for you.

No comments: