Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Native = Primitive?

Yeah, so I use Anki. Which is a very good, very gratis flashcard program. You can download it here if you feel like. /advertising

With this flashcard program you can download decks that other people have made, most often from textbooks or lists of required vocabulary for different tests. Like all the Kanji for which ever JLPT level you are studying for. I think the program was designed specifically for learning Japanese vocab. Not the point.
The point of this post is that I downloaded the deck for the required vocabulary for the SAT. At least that's what I think it is. It's called "5000 Collegiate Words (SAT vocabulary)", and it's got all kinds of big words and their definition and stuff. Real fun really.
Only thing is that the definition for "aboriginal" is "primitive, sophisticated", and thou I have no doubt that this definition is valid, it seems kind of... racist.
I looked it up on Merriam Webster and the definition there was (paraphrased by me) "something original to an area" and "the native people in Australia". The last of these being what I associate with this word.

So, the native people of Australia, and possibly all native people everywhere, are by definition primitive?
I must admit I have known some rather odd Sami people in my day (Scandinavian natives, lives far north, ride snow scooters, farm reindeer and makes beautiful clothing and music), but I would not call them neither primitive or unsophisticated.
I don't really know why this bothers me, I myself do not have any native genes to my knowledge, but I find this kind of over generalization offensive anyway.
It's like say that, "just because you have been here longer than us, we are the superior race" or something.
I realize that this has been the generally accepted view throughout history, that natives where primitive and should be supressed. There were special Sami schools in Norway as well as anywhere else, where they were supposed to learn to be Norwegian. They were refused the right to practice their own religion, only Christianity was allowed. They were not allowed to speak their own language, wear their own clothes, or in any way learn about or practice their own culture. These schools were often far away from their homes and families, and were just about indoctrination camps.

And then we sit on our high chairs and call them primitive. I find this offensive.
But then again the Jante Law, and we-are-better-you-just-because have always seemed wrong to me. Maybe because it has been applied to me one time too many.

I realize that it's just a word and all that, but it gives me an iffy feeling anyway. Words have power. Meh

No comments: