Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Skambankt

Clickable title

My relationship to music can be described in terms of human relationships.
Linkin Park was a fling.
Miyavi was a crush.
Marilyn Manson was a flirt.
Evanescence was a "thing" that I outgrew.

And then there are the four great ones:
Kaizers Orchestra, Gåte, Lumsk, and Bertine Zetlitz. We are lifers. We are married and are never gonna split.
Kaizers was the obsession that just never cooled down.
Gåte was the exiting new fling that grew into something deeper and more significant.
Lumsk was the love I thought I had lost, but that I rediscovered.
And Bertine Zetlitz was the friendship that grew into something deep and wonderful.

And now. Now there is Skambankt.
I saw the covers, and I knew. I just knew it. It was love at first sight. Hadn't even heard a single note, but by jove, I knew that this was to be my new love. And I am rarely wrong when it comes to this sort of thing.
This is the exact reason I can buy books 'cos I like the cover. The cover says a lot, the cover very nearly says it all.
So I asked to listen to the album "Søvnløs" (Sleepless), and after the hearing the beginning of just one song, I was sold.

Ted Winters has a voice that will make it snow in the desert, and make glaziers run in wide rivers of melted water.
This is music that will make your spine tingle and your heart vibrate.
This! is the sort of music that will make your panties wet. It pours over your skin like hot oil, and melts into your head, making your synapses spark like you were dead drunk and saw a hot piece of tail walk by. It's heady and wonderful. It's the sort of music I pay money for.

First thing I thought was that it was like Kaizers only harder. And I still think that. It's the "harder, better, faster, stronger" version of Kaizers. Not really, but it was my first thought.
And with a little more research I discovered that the reason for this is that the vocalist of Skambankt, Ted Winters, the guitarist of Kaizers.
Skambankt was sort of hastily thrown together when another band didn't show up for a gig. Skambankt wrote 9 songs and went on stage. This was in '94.

I just now discovered that they are playing in Oslo later this month, and I am gonna be there!

Very few bands make this happen for me. But Skambankt did. Skambankt will join the halls of the bands I will always love, never forget and always return to. I love Skambankt!

No comments: