Thursday, August 6, 2009

My cat will be toothless

Remember I told you about my kitty was with vet last week, to check his teeth? Well he has to pull them all, so my Bamse will be toothlessXP
He apparently has a disease called FORL, which literally eats the teeth, and to which pulling them is the only treatment. It's gonna cost us craploads of money, but he can have a long happy life without them, and I need him alive, because I love him to bits, and I can't bear to put him down, which was the only option to pulling all his teeth.
So, we are gonna save all we can, and pay to have him treated. We had the first leg of the treatment today, and right now he is groggy and a bit frightened. The first thing he did when I let him out of the travelcage, him ran right under the bed to hide. We have managed to fish him out, and right now he is lying on him cuddly spot resting.

Now, usually I advocate not trying to cling on to your pets if they are hurting, but the vet guaranteed me that he will have a happy life without teeth. Fiancé have kept life in cats to long for my liking before, and it hurt me to watch them suffer. But I was guaranteed that we be happy, and when he stops being happy I will cry, but I will put him down.

I was so happy when it turned out he has a disease, because I couldn't understand how it happened that all his teeth were rotting and his gums were sick. You see, one of the symptoms of tooth disease is bad breath, and he hasn't had that. He is always up in my face to get cuddles when I go to bed, so I would have noticed. We had noticed that he was getting a bit on the thin side, but only in the past month or so, which was when we starting thinking about taking him to the vet, but we gave him soft foods and he plumped right back up again. But then I read about tooth and gum disease, and I decided to ignore his struggles (he panics big time) and check, and his gums were all red, so we took him to the vet. But we didn't know just how bad it was until today. But he has a disease, so it isn't my fault. He has only gotten dry foods, to prevent rotting of the teeth, and he has gotten tidbits with a toothbrush effect, but apparently none of this has helped. I am seriously contemplating getting tooth care food for our cats, so that problems like this will be minimized in the future.

Anywho, he will be fine. And he will be happy. And I love him.=j

No comments: