Monday, July 28, 2008

Dark Knight

So I saw Dark Knight today. I have kind of mixed feelings about actually, the reason of which I will now explain.


The first half rocked. Simple as that, it was simply awesome. The second half confused me. I will explain in this next spoiler ridden paragraph. If you haven't seen it yet tread carefully or wait until you have seen it. It's not really all that big of a deal, but this little event has a lot to say for how the rest of progresses, so tread carefully. Now you have been warned.

Spoilers ahead!!! Read with caution!!!

It went all muddled and people didn't react at all to things they should have reacted to. You see, Joker puts Rachel, the girl Batman loves, and her boyfriend Harvey Dent on opposite sides of the city. He hooks them up to gasoline and explosives and then tells Batman where they are, out of the madness of his heart you see. Batman can't possibly save both so he goes off to rescue Rachel and sends officer Gordon to save Dent. So far so good. But when Batman arrives at the scene he finds Dent instead of Rachel. Okey, Joker tricked him, I get that. What I don't get is that nobody reacts to this act of trickery at all. Not even Batman or Dent, not really. They are both torn apart by the fact that Gordon was to late and she was blown to smithereens, but there is no reaction whatsoever to the fact that Batman saved Dent instead of Rachel and all I sit here with this nagging feeling that they cut a scene with either an explanation or a reaction, either way something is missing.

The realm of spoilers end here^^,



Apart from that the movie was awesome, there was this one scene where they flipped a trailer on it's head where you could see they did that for real. And the Joker was so mad I could almost taste it. Heath Ledger was by far the best actor in the whole movie, the other actors were very bland in comparison. I think he really deserves an Oscar, I do think he will get it. One thing that really satisfied my little OCD ridden brain was that his makeup wasn't the same throughout the movie, it became smudged and runny whenever it was appropriate, and was more neat looking (if one could call it that) whenever he had time to reapply it.
Actually, I thought Christian Bale made a kind of boring performance in this movie, I love him in Batman begins, but in this one I could not really believe in him. He had just about no feelings I think, nothing seemed to affect him at all. And when he was Batman the had funked up his voice so it became all dark, which was kind of distracting in itself, but it came in the way of his acting. I honestly do not think I would have noticed much of a difference when he was Batman if he had been played by a young Arnold Schwarzenegger for all the feeling one could make out under the wonky voice. I cannot remember it being that dark in Batman begins, but it is possible I remembered wrong.
I really recommend this movie. Here's the most awesome trailer I could find^^,


No comments: