Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wicked and Undead

Soooooo, I don't usually review books before I have finished them, but in the case of Wicked I will do and exception.


/shameless advertising for amazing bookXD

So I got this for Christmas from my little Girlies. I have been oogling it in my local fantasy bookstore for, years I guess, and they got it for me, and it has poison green edges on the pages and purdy pictures and it's awesome and I love it.
It's the story of Elphaba, otherwise known as the Wicked Witch of the West, originally dreamt up by Frank L. Baum for for his book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Books of Wonder). Which is hands down one of the best, if most surrealistic, children's books ever to be made.
This book (Wicked that is) deals with how the Wicked Witch of the West came to be so wicked. And so far (I'm about half way) she is actually very nice, and very, very idealistic.

The book itself is beautiful. It has the aforementioned green edgings on the pages, and beautiful illustrations before each part of the book.
Gregory Maguire has a very great narrating skill, making all the people seem alive, and managing to make the witch that has probably given generations of kids nightmares a human face, and human emotions=D
A truly magnificent tale, and I recommend it to all people.

The next book, or rather series, I want to tell you about is the Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson.
'

This wonderful series is about Betsy Taylor who one day wakes up. And is dead. And apparently the long foretold Queen of the Vampires.
And all the hilarious complications that ensue. It's a chickflick Vampire book. It has all the makings of a chickflick, cute men, family issues, a gigantic she collection.=D It's great, and it just keeps getting better. I have read the first 3 or 4 I think thus far, and I laugh myself silly.'
It's feel good litterature at it's best, only with hot Vampire lovin'=D
I wholeheartedly recommend this series=D

No comments: