Friday, February 27, 2009

Education against starvation

I am a big fan of education. Better education, more money for research, and more education (as in schools for every child every where), is in my opinion not only is going to be the best long term best solution for the financial crisis, but is also going to be the only way to end world hunger and poverty. Help people help themselves.
I am also a big fan of helping the environment, and I would like to help stop world hunger.
Now how can I, not being a researcher or anything, combine my love for education and my desire to help save the world. This is how:
Help end world hunger

It's a quiz based system, and for every right answer you get right they donate 10 grains of rice to the UN World Food Program. There are several subjects to get quizzed in, including the Periodic Table, art, German, geography and math. They are constantly expanding, when I started playing at the end of 2007 they had only English vocabulary.
And 10 grains per right answer add up fast, and you can choose to have the site track how many grains you have donated, I just got over 10 000.
I actually did some math on February. In the FAQ they state that the WFP provides, on average, 400 grams of rice per day per person. They also state that one gram of rice consists of about 48 grains of rice. Which adds up to about 19 000 grains of rice per person per day.
By these numbers FreeRice.com has fed over 3000 people, per day, in February. That's quite a few people. A very little percent of the actual amount of starving people in the world, but it's still 3000 less hungry people.

So go and learn some new words, or practice for your geography test, get some idea of what lies where, or get a great start to learning a new language, and feed hungry children at the same time=D

Help end world hunger


Word of the day:
飢え - ue - hunger, starvation

No comments: