Saturday, January 17, 2009

TwiCon

^Clickable title everyone.

Twilight con. I'm not even going to start on how pretentious that seems to me. An entire con dedicated to a single series of craptastic books?
But I am going to rant about the price they are going to charge, just for the heck of it, before moving on to the first of many (probably) rants about Stephenie Meyer craptastic writing abilities.

So for the price on this oh-so-wonderful fan con, 255. American Dollars. Per person. O.o
That does not include living in Dallas for the duration of the con, but this you can get at the marvelously affordable price of 139 per night. O.o But at the very least it's per room and you can fit 4 people in each room. So now we're up to $359,25 for the entire con. Assuming you found three more slobbering fans to share the room with. This does not include eating thou. Or spending money. Or getting yourself there and back again.
Did these people not get the "financial crisis" memo? People are loosing their jobs by the hundreds, many have to sell their homes, and these people find it acceptable to charge 255 for a con O.o
But the really scary thing is that it's probably going to be packed with little blackclad, spoiled, fan-girls and boys, many which of quite certainly are going to sport fangs, and/or cat-ears, tails and paws. And they are going to spend like there's no tomorrow. And if these tweens are under the age of 18, they have to bring a chaperon over the age of 21, who also have to pay the outrageous 255 for admission...

Assuming any artists are actually going to bother to show that is. Because if you want to sell anything at all you need buy a spot in the vendors hall. Which costs 750. But this is for two days (the con lasts 4), so it has to be affordable, right?
But then again, maybe you are only a struggling artist who wants to show of your awesome fanart. Well, to do that you need to rent a space in artist alley, and that costs $100, but seeing as I found no info on how long you hold the spot (which is 6'x6' floor space) I assume it's for the whole con, so I guess that price isn't all that outrageous. Even thou it is nothing more than an overpriced advertising spot, 'cos you aren't allowed to sell anything in artist alley. And all the art has to be preapproved. And they have a no refund policy, so you risk paying 100 dollars for displaying you fanart and not being allowed to actually displaying it.

As for the musicians, actors and other "famous" people who are booked, they may not even show, seeing as they have a clause in their "ToA" saying that they are allowed not, and do not expect to get your money back if they decide to be no-shows.
And oh, do not get me started on the musicians. 2 of the 3 bands booked for the event does not only play exclusively Twilight inspired music, but they are even named after the books. They called them selves "the Twilight Music girls" (O.o) and "the Bella Cullen" project. Does anyone but me find it a teeny bit creepy that talented young girls dedicate their careers to making music for these books?

Which brings me to the book itself. I finally found a copy today of Twilight without the fugly plastic fantastic movie cover (I will copy paste a rant I have written about plastic fantastic movie posters at a later date), so I bought it. I'm at page 32, and Oh My Gosh! why can't any of the tweenies feel their brains bleed?
I mean, the book start with your normal misfit semidepressed 16 year old (as far as I could gather) teenage girl who is moving. So far so good. Just that she is moving to her father, which she is less than thrilled about, to a town she has avoided since she was 14, and which she hates, to go to a school where she expects to be even more of a misfit and even more miserable than at her old school. For no apparent reason. Her mother tells her "You don't have to do this", and apparently her father had been bewildered, but pleased, when she have told him.
So of her own free will, she condemns herself to a miserable, wet (because apparently in this horrible town it always rains, cliche anyone?) existence. I can only assume she was drawn there by the knowledge that her one true love existed in this town, or some other mindnumbingly creepy, stupid reason, she hasn't told us yet.
Edit: I have gotten a tad further and I just thought I'd add this before I got lynched by a Twilightfanchild; she has a reason, she moves so that her poor mother can travel around with her new husband, who plays minor league something with a ball...

But she becomes instantly insanely popular, even with her very own personal stalker boy, who she mentions is acting like a golden retriever.
And then she sees Edward Cullen from across the cafeteria. And he instantly hates her, his coal-black eyes (I kid you not) burning with intense hatred and rage. We all know they are going to end up together, you can tell from the way she describes him when she first sees him, but from what I have gathered on the interwebs he acts like he hates her because she loves her and is afraid to hurt her or some other equally creepy crap. I have not gotten that far yet.
Oh! And how on earth can the Cullen kids be "devastatingly, inhumanly beautiful" when they are chalky pale and have dark purple, bruise-like rings under their eyes? That does not constitute beauty to me, no matter how good their bone structure, or how well trained their physique. No, that sounds more like sickly, and ugly so me.

I expect to tire you all immensely with my constant Twilight ranting, but I will read them all to confirm their creepyness, and to tell every roundeyed, lovesick Twilightfanchild why exactly why Edwards behavior is in no way normal or acceptable, but rather downright creepy and scary, and that no guy should ever be allowed to act like him. EVER!!! No girl either for that matter. EVER!!! (I'm told there is serious stalking later in the series.)

Word of the day:
いけ好かない - ikesukanai - nasty, disgusting, disagreeable, creepy

No comments: