Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day nerves

I usually have a rule not to express all too much of my political opinions on the web, because many people feel very strongly about politics and I don't like offending people. But today I can not help myself. By this time tomorrow we are going to have a new American president. You can argue that since I live in Norway I don't really need to give a rat's tushie about who will win todays election, but I do need to give a rat's tushie about it, because what happens in America affects the entire globe. Just look at the financial crisis we are having right now, America's economy collapsed, and then the rest of the world collapsed. Or warfare, America decides to attack someone, and the rest of the world are forced to take a stand.
My point is that, as of today, America is the most influential nation in the entire world, and they need to stop effing things up. Which is why I have been urging every American I have met online to vote for Obama. I have met a lot of reluctance thou, Americans seem to think that voting for Obama means America will become a communist nation. I even heard about a pro-McCain senator or commentator (can't remeber which) saying "Do we really want to become like Sweeden?". WTF? How is Sweeden bad? Or Norway for that matter? Why is the welfare system all that awful? And common, free health care? Why is that awful? I really can't understand that these things are all that awful.
In Norway we don't have completely free health care, but it's affordable. For everyone. And lifesaving opperations that will ruin most Americans (seeing as health insurance companies are paying for less and less) are free. Save loosing your job do to illness, falling ill will not ruin you, and it will certainly not indebt you for the rest of your life. How is that bad?
I talked with this girl who said that she wasn't interested in paying for other's lazyness. Fine i can get that, I really can, but what will she say if she ever gets cancer, or some other disease that will indebt her for life, and remove her option of getting health insurance. The way their system is now Americans better cross their fingers and hope they never fall seriously ill. In America I would not be able to get healt insurance ever, because of things that went on in my life when I was 13. Things that I had little to no control over. Things that would have indebted my parents and probably forced them to sell their house and car and just about everything else we owned. How on earth is that a fair system? Or even a working system?
And Palin! The woman scares me half to death. She is completely incompetent, and frankly, quite unintelligent. And she will, with about 75% certainty, become president if McCain is elected, and she will drive the whole world under.
And what does America have against muslims? Do they not know that there is a thing in America called freedom of religion? And that religion and the state is not supposed to have any connection whatsoever? It says so in their beloved constitution. Black on white. I feel sad right down to my core when the question "why shouldn't Obama be president?" is answered by "just look at his name. He obviously has muslim connections. He has to be dangerous." So just because Obama's middle name is Hussein, and Obama "sort of sounds like Osama", he has to me muslim, and must dangerous? I must say that some Americans should not be allowed to procreate. Seriously. They seem to be getting stupider and more narrowminded by the minute. Obama is just as Christian as Palin or McCain, but he is a lot less dangerous.

So I am crossing every limb I have got and hope that Obama is elected president, and that he has the ability to sort things out. America, and the rest of the world too, deserves a levelheaded decent person for president. Some one who can lead them and us into a better future than McCain and Palin ever could.

I appologize for any hurt feelings, but Americans need to start thinking about how their actions affect the rest of the world. They have fought to become as powerful and influential as they have become, and now is the time to start taking responsiblity for it.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I hope Obama will live yup to his expectations, most people in Canada were going crazy wanting him to win ^_^