Friday, December 4, 2009

Lost in Translation

So we wandering today. We went to find CBS, the place where my exam will be held on Sunday, and then we just went wandering. We went to a mall and to lots of little electronics shops, and then we found a charming little Vietnamese place called Viet-nam-nam ^^,
And there they had a anniversary menu, and me being terribly allergic to peanuts we tried to ask if there were peanuts in any of the dishes. Emphasis on tried. Now, my language science teacher made a big point of some people thing all Scandinavian languages being essentially the same language, just different variants, this being because people speaking one language can easily understand the other. This is however only true for native speakers. The staff in the Vietnamese restaurants being immigrants, well our waiter in the least could not make heads or tails of NorwegianXP
She tried her very best thou^^, I had remembered seeing an apothecary just down the road, so we decided to take a chance. A little later a waiter that spoke English went on duty, so we asked him when he came to clear the dishes for the first course, and he said they had many people who were allergic to peanuts there to eat, so they didn't nearly use peanuts at all. Not even peanut oil for frying.
But they were very nice indeed. The little lady who only spoke Danish but tried her best anyway was so charming that we tipped very handsomely^^, We are thinking about maybe having lunch there tomorrow maybe.

Then as a second desert we went and got Ben and Jerry's ice cream from a Ben and Jerry's stand at the mall we were at earlier. Take that stupid Norway! They have Ben and Jerry's STANDS here. In Norway we get overpriced little boxes, and only about 5 flavours to choose from. Here I got three scoops from at least 25 to choose from for 36 DKK. That is 40 NOK, which is cheaper than three scoops of anything almost anywhere in Norway.
I want this in Oslo *making adorable puppydog eyes at whoever can make this happen*
Not so interested in Starbucks thou. They do not have tasty coffee. They have overpriced, weirdly sized (I mean come on, a long coffee is bigger than a grande coffee?!) coffee, where the only good thing is the weird stuff they put on top. And whipped cream on the mocca? Who drinks that? If I wanted whipped cream I'd have ordered hot chocolate. It's coffee for christ sake.

Aaaaaanywho. After that we went to Magasinet and looked at ugly overpriced designer clothing. No, I will not wear frilly, flowered, layered gauze worth 500DKK+ just because some self-righteous designer got out his/her overpriced crayons and designed it. It's still ugly even if it was drew by friggin' Karl Lagerfeld or Coco Chanel or what ever.

And then we went up Strøget, where everything was closed. And then we went to the Tivoli.
Which was full. But we went on the Flying Trunk ride, which is a narrated tour through H.C. Andersen's stories.
I love that ride. I went on it the first time I was at Tivoli in Copenhagen, when I was about ten. And it's just magical. It's super mechanic and the carts jolt around a lot and all the figures just stand about waving their arms, but every time I take it I am ten years old and the world is new and shiny, and there's all these wonderful stories that he wrote that I have not read yet, and that is waiting for me at the library back home.
Now of course I have all his stories in a nice big book with lots of purdy illustrations and it's in a box in the basement of my parents home, but I am gonna read them all one day.
I guess the reason I like the ride is because it kind of says to me: "Look, the world is still shiny and new if you wipe of the grime, and there will always be new stories you have not read yet."

Now I am gonna go to bed and read my Undead and Unwed book. And tomorrow we will go shopping, and maybe go see some dancers tomorrow nightXP
And then on Sunday I will have my exam^^, I think I will at least pass=D
Good night all my beautiful dahlings. Remember I love you^^,

No comments: