Monday, October 12, 2009

Music industry rant

(Warning: This rant may come to contain strong language. It will beyond any doubt. contain lots of caps, and whatever language errors that don't get picked up by spelling checker, as I doubt I will proofread. Sorry about this.)

You know what? I HATE the music industry. With a passion.
First they make copy defences which will literally RUIN you stereo equipment. I kid you not. Some guy in Norway had his 10.000kr (almost 1800 USD according to Google) ruin because of an CD made by EMI. And yes I am positive it was EMI because they have contracted Bertine Zetlitz. It was in the Norwegian newspaper. And it got there because EMI would not refund his broken equipment. Even thou it was their CD's copy defence that broke it.
As a rule I, fiancé, and lots of our friends don't buy CDs with copy protection. They are easy to spot, because they aren't labelled CompactDisk on the CD itself or anywhere in the cover. The reason for this is because the inventors of the compact disk intended CDs to be playable on any CD player, and the copy protection makes this impossible. Therefore they demanded to stop having their inventions associated with these abominations. That is right kids, according to the inventors of the CD copy protected disks aren't even CDs.
The reason for the copy protection is of course the hindrance of file sharing. Well NEWS FLASH ARSE HEADS!!! it's not working. If anything it makes it worse. Since it's nigh impossible these days to buy real CDs (that is without the copy protection) I don't buy CDs AT ALL!
And another thing, back when I used to buy CDs, every single CD I bought, with out fail, I bought because someone had downloaded it for me, and I liked it. 75% of my CD collection arouse this way. The other 25% was because I liked that artist from before and wanted their newest album, or because it was gifted to me. And the ones that were gifted to me was most because I had listed to a downloaded version that I liked.
And this is not just me folk. Statistics show that when Napster was launched the CD sales did not fall. Oh noes people. They ROSE. ALOT!
And then you have the little whiny kids. Like Lily Allen. I like Lily Allen's music, I do. But I lost all respect for her when she went public saying "file sharing is awful and it ruins the industry and wahwahwah". This from a woman who wouldn't even had a career if it wasn't for filesharing on MySpace. How on earth does a woman who would still be living with her MOM most likely if it wansn't for file sharing think it's okay to say things like that?!
And then there's YouTube. YouTube is a wonderful internet community where people can share music videos. I have discovered a shit loads of wonderful music on YouTube. People don't bring CDs to a party anymore, we just hook our awesome speakers up to our computer and play all our party music from there. But the music industry obviously has no idea the amount of free commercial that can be had from YouTube.
So they get one video after the other taken down, or have the sound removed or make them area specific.
Which basically is what prompted this rant. I wasn't allowed to listen Bjork on YouTube because the fact that the videos were even there was apparently a copy right violation. BAH! And take Lene Nystrom. The singer of Aqua. I gave up trying to even FIND one of her videos which we poor norsefolk were even allowed to watch. Because apparently you have to live in USA or some other hell hole to be able to watch the music video of a FUCKING norwegian artist. I LIVE in Norway for Fs sake!!!

And one more thing. By sending fines to people who downloads fines at 450 GBP per song, which about 25% just pay, no questions asked, the music industry makes more money of people downloading than they make by SELLING their actual product.

I most probably won't buy a CD in a music shop EVER again. I'll buy my CD's from the artist directly when I go to concerts.
And seeing as I detest Ipod and all the hassle with them I will never get Itunes, and I will never pay 2 USD for a song which will only exist in Itunes and will be lost if I have to format my harddrive.

And one more thing. To any music industry lawyers reading this. Downloading is not illegal. Uploading to others is. Well, I have never uploaded anything. I don't seed and I don't spread music in any way. So it's no use suing me. You can take your biased judges and you circumstantial evidence else where. You ain't gettin' a penny out of me.

No comments: